Date on a Budget

October 27, 2014

We wanted to see each other last Saturday, but we had limited funds. I told him that I don't really care what we do, it's his company I want. We planned on a Friday afternoon what we could do together but at the same time spend little or no money at all... I suggested we go to the city park and check out the monument of a dead president, since he hasn't been there and I've only gone a couple of times. So, we agreed.
We met that Friday evening at the mall to get my new phone with Mom. We ate dinner and immediately went home. Mom asked what were our plans the next day and I answered what we have agreed upon. Then she suggested "Why don't you go to the National Museum?", I looked and smiled at him and in turn he smiled back. "Have you ever been in the National Museum?" and he answered "No.". So, that was it... change of plans... We are going to the National Museum!
Woke up that Saturday pretty excited. After driving my sister to school, I started preparing for my date with Joko. Since Mom had a lunch date with her high school friends at the Manila Polo Country Club, like a good daughter... I decided to bring her to the venue before actually having the cultural date with Joko.
He came over the house and after a few moments we rode the car and made our way to Manila Polo Country Club. Since I was confident on how to go about the metro and because he never really experienced my driving skills... I offered to drive to Makati and to the National Museum.


After dropping Mom off, we proceeded to drive to the museum. I wasn't used to driving along Quirino Highway especially with lots of trucks travelling along the road with me. I had a slight panic but then he held my hand as it was clutching the stick-shift. I looked at him and he smiled and said "It's gonna be okay. They won't hit you." and I smiled back at him then he continued "unless I tell them to." and then I immediately rolled my eyes at him. *Hahaha!*
As I drove through Taft Avenue and finding my way to the museum, we talked about our driving experiences through Manila. I missed the exit I was supposed to take and I became a bit disappointed at myself. Then he just laughed and shouted "Roadtrip!". I sighed and smiled and looked for a U-turn slot to get to the museum. Long story short... we eventully got there!

We arrived at approximately around 1PM and realized that I had to park the car in parallel to the building! I panicked a bit and asked if he could do it for me. He laughed and said "You can do it! I'll guide you!" and so he did and after pulling up the hand break, I looked at him as his face lightened up and said "You did it! I'm so proud of you!". He hugged me and kept on smiling, really seeing how happy he was for me.
As we stared at the building, we realized we have not eaten lunch yet. So we walked to SM Manila and had our lunch there.
The walk going to the mall was a bit uneasy for me because there was absolutely no means to walk from the museum to the mall... in a legal way. We walked at the side of the bridge where jeepneys and cars passed by, we crossed the street that didn't have a pedestrian lane to get to the city hall.
"Will I get hit?"-- I shouted at him as we formed a line while walking at the side of the bridge, while some pedicabs were coming at us. "You won't get hit! But you are probably gonna get hit-on" he answered. I kinda glanced at what I was wearing and I was like... "Yeah! I'm wearing shorts." in my head.
After eating lunch, we walked back to the museum and signed in a logbook, checked in my bag, learned that monopods aren't allowed and started our tour of the National Museum.
We entered the first hall and we were greeted by a sculpture of an angel, which was supposed to be a mausoleum statue which was made by a great Filipino artist.


And then as we passed through the side, we saw Juan Luna's Spolarium. Even though I've seen it a couple of times already, I still had chills rolling up and down my spine. It was Joko's first time to see the masterpiece in person and seeing his awestruck face was priceless.


Since my mom is a big fan of art, she told me facts about the painting and was happy to relay them to Joko. After a while... We exited the great hall and proceeded with entering other rooms to view the other artworks.
Let me just share to you some of our favorites:






I was surprised to find out that Joko's favorite president was Ferdinand Marcos too! After that we started talking a little bit about politics.




We were amused with the last photo because it's a scene where traitors and enemies were being hung by their necks. Quite morbid right? But then as I stared into the faces of the spectators in the painting I noticed these two people having quite a candid facial expression which I think is a little bit inappropriate. *Hahaha!*
Then I asked Joko, "I wonder how does it feel to watch people be hanged in those times?". Well, we let that question linger since I think both of us won't enjoy that sight one bit.



Then finally got to show him my favorite exhibit in the whole museum. These series of mural paintings is called "Progress of Medicine in the Philippines" created by Carlos V. Francisco. I loved this exhibit because it depicted how Filipinos used to heal their sick from the time before the Spanish Inquisition to the Present time.
We sat at the benches opposite the paintings and just looked at talked about the artwork in front of us. I even said "Hinga malalim!", imitating what the RadTherapist would say before taking a chest x-ray. He laughed and said he could totally imagine me shouting to my patient that before pressing the expose button.


Then we found ourselves at the old senate hall. It was breathtaking! We marveled at the intricate design of the ceiling and the statues surrounding the high walls. I told him that the statues were looking down as if to tell the senators "Do not mess up!". We tested how sound bounced in the room and were amused at how much echo was being produced. As usual, being the fun person that he is... he shouted "Hello!" and "Echo!".


We took the winding stairs up to the last floor, thinking that there would be more exhibits. But sadly, that was it. So we just took random selfies while going down.



Lastly, we were able to get to the other side of the National Museum. We took some selfies *again* and went back to the main lobby. It was here that he tested how awesome my new phone was.



We ended the date in the museum by hanging out a bit in the car and looking at the renovations being done on the building's facade. Joko commented that he thinks the new eggshell color being painted in was more sophisticated than the custard color that the building used to have.
Hmmmm... never really thought I would be able to talk about art, history and science with a guy so candidly. Maybe that's why I really thought it was a date to remember and the fact we didn't spend that much was an added bonus!
Yep. I really did enjoy his company going through the exhibits. That day was a day well spent.
P.S. I have some blogger friends who also visited the National Museum. Click the link to check their post about their experience:
(If you want your blog post to be included... please comment the link below!)

1. A Day in our National Museum | The Legendary Ukayista

You Might Also Like

31 comments

  1. You're lucky to enjoy the old senate hall because we were not permitted to go there since they have some event happening. :(

    We almost featured the same artworks! :D Will include this in my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ay sayang! :( Anyway... you can always go back :D


    Thanks for featuring this post :D I added it na din on mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... you didn't have to. But thanks Hazel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Museums are always a great date! I love to visit them anywhere I am

    ReplyDelete
  5. May De Jesus-PalacpacNovember 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM

    hahaha on the wall paint color comment!

    Anyway, I think that's a really nice date. My husband and I would've probably done the same had we been smarter than we were when we were still dating, hahaha.

    Thanks for sharing your pics, I love art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I told him that I don't really care what we do, it's his company I want." best girlfriend ever! HAHA! You guys look really sweet and well, you'll never run out of conversation topics in museums.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the trip is not the thing that matters. It's the quality time spent with him! I love how you are appreciative of him and he you! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I really find that anywhere could be fun as long as I am with him! :) Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Amie! I really enjoyed that day with him... well, any day with him is memorable! and yes, being in a museum... there is always something to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's never too late to go on that cultural date with your husband! Think of it as like a date when you were still getting to know him! :) Maybe there are some things you haven't learned about him yet and this is an opportunity to know!


    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to do the same thing too whenever I travel abroad or here in the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow~ lovely date and you are so cute couple! Anyway I love to visit Museums too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great collections of our very own. I've never been there and your post suggested big time that it's time to pay it a visit. More years together, by the way. You both look a nice couple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful date dear! I loved reading about your experience and you both look really sweet together :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a really educational date you had in the National Museum. You got to learn about the country's art and heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Helps if you both have the same interest or if both of you are willing to give of the other's interest a try. Great date! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth MusingHousewifeNovember 10, 2014 at 7:00 AM

    I love museums... Your date would be my idea of a perfect one! (If I wasn't already married of course - although, there's nothing stopping me and hubby going alone!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I am Vanessa Ally. That is the most intelligent and ingenious date I have ever witnessed so far. You too know how to have a good time and enjoy incredible works of art. That is what I call a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Museums are always a nice place for low-budget dates. Singapore has opened all their museums free to all Singaporeans and I love going to the museums too!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know! Whenever I visit Singapore... I always visit the Singapore Science Centre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks :) You should definitely take the time to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should totally go with your husband to a museum! :) Hmmm... you might even get to know some things about him that you've never known before!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes it was! :) That's why I totally recommend it to other people who want to have a great time, learn stuff and spend less. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah you totally should! :D Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it's both educational and beautiful. It's a good idea for a date and to get to know what they like.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not bad at all for a "budget" date! A bit of art, sun and cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The museum is beautiful, i am not an art person, but i guess i really don't know until i go to one of those

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook