Thrillers in Baguio

November 07, 2014

My high school barkada decided to go to Baguio for our first out-of-town trip! Since my family owns a house there, my mom immediately allowed me to go despite of her being so overprotective. We left Manila at around 6AM. Those who were on the road trip were 3 couples and 2 single ladies: Petra and Kerwin, Carla and MV, Unikka and Luigi, then the single ladies were Antonette and yours truly! Together with my friends, we had a driver which was provided by my friend's dad... he was the one who drove us from Manila to Baguio and also around the "Summer Capital of the Philippines".


After a few hours on the road, we had our stop-over at a gas station along NLEX which had a McDonald's because some of my friends have not yet tried the Twister Fries at that time.


Then a few more hours of driving ahead of us, we proceeded to listening to music of the 90's and Disney soundtracks and actually singing loudly to them. Some of us dozed off at some point of the trip (I was one of them). *Note to self: On a road trip with friends, never fall asleep. They will take embarrassing photos of you.*

Finally reaching Baguio City, I took the reigns in navigating through the city since it was my house where we would be staying in. Since we passed Marcos Highway instead of Kenon Road to get to the city, we were able to pass by the Sta. Catalina Spirituality Center. This is where we had our senior retreat during high school.


After talking to the guard and the caretaker of the grounds, telling them that we graduated from SCQC and we would like to look around the area for just a while. They smiled and just let us be, telling us to keep the noises down to a minimum. We proceeded to go inside the compound and immediately went to nostalgia mode!



Then after a while, we left the place while reminiscing about the things we've experienced during our senior retreat. We drove to the house and said "Hi!" to my Grandpa, who was super excited to have us over. Since we have not eaten lunch yet, we rode the van and proceeded to Mines View Park coz this was close to our place.

We walked around for a while and found this restaurant and just decided to eat there.


We ordered the food... thinking that the serving size in Manila and Baguio are the same... and so we were surprised we got this...


The food was too much that some of us had to stand just to get the food, and cut up the meat from the bone. *Hahaha!*

Since we were already at Mines View Park, we started sight-seeing and of course, taking photos! Some of my friends checked out the stores and bought some stuff. As for me, I only spent 80PHP for a grey bonnet that I really wanted.

We entered the park itself and my friends started off by throwing coins into a wishing well. I never really believe in those stuff anymore so I just smiled and took photos. After that we proceeded to where the "view" is and started taking photos *again*.



There were a lot of people on that site and so we went back to the "tiangge" area and tried the famous Strawberry Taho!


After finishing the taho, we made our way to "The Mansion" because it was close by. And yes, in true Thriller fashion, took lots of photos in the venue.



Venturing out a little bit more, we drove to the Baguio Botanical Gardens and looked at the view. For all of my years that I've spent my summer vacations and Christmas breaks at Baguio,  it was my first time to visit that place.




Then a little walk from the place, we visited PILAK: Silver Craft and Gift Shoppe where they sell a wide variety of items. I actually was eyeing a ring with a lemon yellow stone, but then I thought I preferred to receive rings than buy them for myself. *Hint: No guy has ever given me a ring yet. Not even a promise ring!*


Then after a while, we had dinner at this place just across Wright Park (where people usually go for horseback riding) called KETCHUP. This is a compound wherein there are multiple restaurants to choose from! Actually, you can order anywhere within the compound and what restaurant your group has the most number of orders that is where you will be seated! We settled at this place called RUMAH SATE and some of my friends ordered from another restaurant.



Since I wasn't that hungry, and was craving for something sweet... I skipped dinner altogether and ordered a MUDPIE. It was the best dessert I've ever had! It was freshly baked brownie with vanilla ice cream on top! In the end of the meal, our group ordered 3 more of that!


Finally full, yet still awake... we decided to have a drinking session at home. Since my Grandpa had a lot of liquor in his house. We just searched for a place that sold ice. Who knew that we'd have a hard time looking for ice in such a chilly city? Well, eventually we did and it was the last bag. We started heading back and took our never ending bonding session home.

My "plus one" was supposed to come with us to Baguio but then since his parents was celebrating their anniversary in Hong Kong, we decided to tag along with them! That night while drinking Jack Daniel's with Coke and munching on different junk foods, my "plus one" called via Skype and from all the way in HK started "hanging out with us". Yep, since my friends are pretty protective over me, this guy was totally placed in the hot seat! Which was great since I really valued what they think of the guys I entertain.


Eventually we all became sleepy and went to bed.

Day 2:

Woke up pretty early the next day because that's just how I am whenever I am in Baguio. I'd like watching the sun rise over the mountains and just bask in the cold air.

We had breakfast and prepared to go out with my Grandpa. We journeyed to Camp John Hay and had lunch in the country club.


And of course, after eating... the mandatory mini photoshoots commenced! Here are some of my favorites:




Right after this, we passed by a house and lot in Camp John Hay that was for sale. They had an open house, so we got down from the van to have a look! It was amazing! I really didn't take any photos during that time because my friends and I were filming our own parody of MTV Cribs!


We eventually made our way to the Philippine Military Academy and took a stroll there. It was unfortunate that the museum was closed and it started to rain. Hmmm... at least we got some great photos!



We travelled back to the main city and there at Good Shepherd we bought some food items for our family and friends, and walked to Mines View Park for a little snack! This was to kill time while waiting for the 6PM mass.


Time for Sunday Mass!


After hearing Mass, Grandpa wanted to go home and so he left us and commuted to the house. While we made our way to Burnham Park. A little while we arrived, it started to rain and we decided to eat dinner there.


Then since we decided to go to Sto. Tomas and cook our own breakfast the next morning... we drove home early and just chilled out in the house... another mild drinking session while watching cable TV.  And yes, my friends brought the matresses out from the room and laid them on the open space in the living room so that they could still watch TV.



Day 3:

Majority of us woke up pretty early to get ourselves ready for the trip up to Sto. Tomas. Rafaela and MV cooked breakfast while the rest of us helped prepped the food and the table.



After eating, we immediately drove to Sto. Tomas. Where its so high up that you can see Baguio City from there!



Then we drove a little high up to Picmar Heritage Lodge,



After all the photos, videos and laughters... we proceeded to go down back to the city. It was just in the nick of time since the fog was starting to climb up Sto. Tomas. We eventually decided to eat at the 50's Diner for some cheeseburgers and other American style meals.



Then after eating, we drove to La Trinidad for Strawberry picking. But as we reached that part of the city, we decided to stop by Bell Church for a while. It's a Buddhist temple and my friends decided to pray and make a wish.






As soon as we reached the Strawberry fields, we found out that it wasn't in season and there are no strawberries for picking. And so we just decided to look around the shops outside the vicinity of the field to buy some other gifts for our friends and family.


We drove all the way back to the house and started to pack. Took some last photos of the house and said our goodbyes to Grandpa.



Overall, it was a fun trip! Bonding with the people who pretty much made my high school life memorable. These people who care for me like a sister, who I could run to whenever I feel sad, angry or just bored. Hmmm... these people right here... they are my family. The girls, my forever sisters and their significant others... my adopted brothers. I love them all so dearly and I am glad that I got to share these experience with them.

For your viewing pleasure... watch this video which Petra made herself:



#ThrillersInBaguio from Rafaela Lim on Vimeo.

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I miss going to Baguio. My sister do have a house there. seems you have a fun-filled trip with your dabarkads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baguio is listed in my bucketlist. I've always wanted to go there but my parents are way too over protective. They want me to go there with them. Pfft.

    Anyway, this post would be a great guide for me (if fortunate enough to travel alone) or for us (with parents).

    Hope you'll be around too so you can tour us around hehe :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really tight itinerary. Baguio is my hometown so when I am home, I just relax and stay at home or go to the trails. I also trek Mt Sto Tomas for the view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your really fun adventure! I've always wanted to go to Baguio. Thank you for this really fun post! I'll definitely visit this place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May De Jesus-PalacpacNovember 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

    I love Bagiuo! I used to frequent it as a teenager and have so many lovely memories there with friends and family. I took note of the name of the resto you went to, haha. The serving isn't always like that, in my experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it just me or is the alignment out? Anyway, STRAWBERRY PICKING! Is it the pick as many as you want type? I know in many places, strawberry picking has to depend on the season, you might enter a field with no strawberries at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the last time I visited Baguio was 16 years ago and I'm sure a lot has changed. I liked the outline of your post as it is an itinerary for a Baguio Trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Baguio! Pardon my ignorance. It looks like a nice place for a short weekend getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy Baguio but the drive can be very tiring if you are the driver (and I am always the driver when we go as a family). The traffic can be so bad within the city! We usually just stay around the Mine's View and John Hay area to escape the traffic woes. You guys got to do a lot!!! - Fred

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been through all these places! Makes me reminisce my Baguio experience! :-) I have to go back there one of these days! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last time I visited Baguio was two years ago. I just don't want the long ride.- KarenT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like road trip!!! Envious much!! Baguio seems to be a fun place too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Petra has made a beautiful video! Baguio seems like a great location. Would love to visit it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was quite the adventure. I like how you documented everything with pictures and info. This was clearly a fun outing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww it looks like you guys had a lot of fun! The strawberry taho looks delicious too.

    Sara | This Girl Loves

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of road trips. I have never partaking in any but I hope to one day with some enjoyable company. Looks like you and your friends had a blast! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wanted to go to Baguio with friends. Never been there! This post of yours just encouraged me to ask my friends out.. I hope they are up to it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook