5 THINGS I WANT TO SAY TO THE DRIVERS IN METRO MANILA

October 03, 2015

I have been driving for almost 7 years now and being on the road for that long I have a lot of rants that I usually keep to myself. But the rise of the mind-numbing traffic in the Metro has already pushed me to the brink of explosion. So to keep myself from road rage, I shall unload my thoughts about this matter here on my blog.

Here are the 5 Things I want to say:


Source: http://www.keithlane.com/page25.htm

1. Choose your lane and stick to it

What is the use of changing lanes on a highway if we are all going the same direction? Please make the trip pleasant for the rest of us. Stay on your lane because the more you try to "weave" through traffic, the higher the possibility of causing an accident which in turn, would cause more traffic. If you are in a hurry to get to your destination, my suggestion would be to leave your place earlier than you would to anticipate any unforeseen issues on the road.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVYInkzHFqI
2. Do not counterflow

I get the feeling that you want to get to your destination faster but let's evaluate if you counterflow: are you important that the rest of the other motorists on the road? Even if you are a government official, isn't the other term for your job a public "servant"? 

Please know that we all want to reach where we need to go and by you, acting like you own the road only increases the hassle of traffic since you would need to merge into the correct lane sooner or later and in the process blocking the way for those people whose lane you took to counterflow.

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Turn-Signal
3. Use your Signal Lights

Ever notice the levers behind the steering wheel? Well, they're there for a purpose and no, it's not only to open the headlights of your car or to activate the windshield wipers. If you don't know how to use that lever to it's full capacity, I suggest you read up and explore your vehicle. Here's a helpful link: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Turn-Signal

I can't express how many times I've encountered a vehicle in front of me immediately turning without the proper warning.  I think the proper moment to use the signal light is around 30-50 meters before you proceed in turning. Please use your signal lights as courtesy to motorists behind and in front of you, so that they will be aware of your movement.

Source: http://myimagecollection.net/road+markings+arrows
4. Follow the road markings

In addition to the "stay in your lane" thing, I would like to add this to the list. If you are turning left, right or simply going straight, please stay in the corresponding lane that has the appropriate road marking. It really gets in my nerves whenever I stay on the left turn lane and wait for my turn to go, then a car from the going straight lane cuts in front of everybody in order to make a left turn. Which causes a little bottleneck effect at the intersection that would aggravate other motorists.

Some instances I encountered cars counterflowing just to beat the red light and make the turn in the process, and then as usual this causes more traffic and more road rage.

Source: https://openclipart.org/detail/201511/meaning-of-the-traffic-lights
5. Obey the traffic light signals

RED = STOP, YELLOW = SLOW DOWN, and GREEN = GO. Let's all be educated people who know the basic signals on the road and actually follow them. Yes, even if nobody is watching or if there are no other cars on the road. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.


To sum it all up, it does not hurt to follow the rules of the road. It is better to be a defensive driver than a "kaskasero". Be considerate of other motorists on the road and always remember the golden rule: DO UNTO OTHERS WHAT YOU WANT OTHERS TO DO UNTO YOU.

Stay safe!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook